Sport at St Mary's
We value the contribution sport and fitness make to our lives. Sport builds on the values we hold dear at St Mary's, such as inclusion, team work, having a positive self image and striving to achieve.
There are many afterschool clubs which have a sport and fitness focus and children regularly participate in inter-school events. St Mary's has two Football Teams (Girls and Boys), and a Netball Team who compete in the Cluster Netball League.
Every summer, St Mary's holds its popular sports day in which all children participate and achieve.
Swimming takes place annually for Year 3 with the aim of ensuring all children are competent and safe when in the water.
St Mary's uses the TLG-PE Scheme of Work. TLG focuses on the following skills;
Our P.E long term plan ensures progression. This is the current long term plan -
St Mary's is passionate about enabling children to be fit and healthy in their body and mind as possible. We use the Steps to Summit scheme to encourage the children to be as active as possible. The scheme records the children's daily activity as they summit their year groups allocated mountain.
St Mary's participation in the Steps to Summit Scheme and commitment to 'inclusion for all' earned the Bronze TLG-PE award for 2018/2019. We are now striving for Silver!
Sports Premium Grant
Details of how our Sports Premium Grant is spent can be found here in our PE & SCHOOL SPORT FUNDING REPORT (or by clicking the image below). The Sports Premium Grant is supplemented by school funds as well as PTA support in order to provide the high standard and wide range of sporting experiences for the children at St Mary's.
Definition of Physical Activity, Physical Education and School Sport.
The Five Key Indicators of the Sports Premium Funding Document.
Steps 2 Summit - The Seven Summit Challenge.
School Games GOLD Award
To be awarded the gold award we must have:
- a system in place to track children’s participation in the School Games,
- opportunities which attract less active children to participate,
- considered the inclusive nature of our school sport provision,
- have a positive approach to delivering physical activity,
- held a Level 1 School Games Day as the culmination of a year-round programme,
- a calendar of competition that demonstrates opportunity for SEN children to take part,
- provision for two hours of PE timetabled for every child and extra curriculum provision in addition to this.
The list of events St Mary’s attends each academic year include;
- Minety Mixed Tag-Rugby Festival (Year 3 and 4, Year 5 and 6)
- Year 1 and 2 Mixed Football Festival
- Year 4,5, and 6 Girls Football Festival
- Year 5 and 6 High Fives Netball Festival
- KS2 Cross-Country Festival
- Year 5 and 6 Swimming Gala
- Year 5 and 6 School Games Swimming Finals at Marlborough College
- Year 5 and 6 Hockey Festival
- Reception to Year 6 Gymnastics Festival
- KS2 Dance Festival
- KS1 Wake and Shake Festival (St Mary’s hosted)
- KS1 Orienteering Festival (St Mary’s hosted)
- KS2 Mixed Tag-Rugby Festival
- Reception to Year 6 Cluster Athletics Festival
- Netball League Matches (and friendlies)
- Year 5 and 6 Girls Football League and Cup Matches
- Year 5 and 6 Boys Football League and Cup Matches (and friendlies)
Other sporting events in the school have included;
- Sports for Champions – a sponsored event where the children were active and have met an Olymoic hero!
- Skip 2 B Fit Event
- Savage Skills Cross-Country Bike Stunt Team Visit
- The Hula Hoop Challenge Event
- Leadership Training for Year 6
- Year 3 – extended sporting activities at Bradon Forest Secondary School
- The official opening of Bradon Forest Sports Hall – in which the Athletics team participated
- Chance to Shine Interclass Cricket Matches
Sports Opportunities and Events at St Mary’s Primary School
Staff Managed Clubs:
- Netball Club - Yr 4 (Invitation only), Yr 5 and 6 (Friendly and League matches played).
- Girls Football Club – Yr5 and Yr 6
- Boys Football Club – Yr 5 and Yr 6
- Running Club – Yrs 3 to 6.
- Cricket Club – Yr 4, 5 and 6. Available in Term 6 – provided by Chance to Shine Cricket Association.
Enrichment Clubs (available at extra cost):
- EYFS Dance – Spotlight Dance School.
- KS1 Dance – Spotlight Dance School.
- KS2 Dance – Spotlight Dance School.
- EYFS to Yr. 6 – Tennis provided by Purton Tennis Club.
- KS1 Football - ESC Coaching and Fitness.
- KS2 Football - ESC Coaching and Fitness.
- Archery - Cotswold Archery and Shooting Company.
Sports Cluster Events:
- Yr1/2 NWSC Mixed Football Festival.
- Yr 4/5/6 NWSC Girls Football Festival.
- Yr 5/6 North Wilts Cluster Netball Festival.
- Yr3/4/5/6 NWSC Cross Country Running Festival.
- Yr 5/6 NWSC Swimming Gala.
- Yr 5/6 NWSC Hockey Festival.
- EYFS, Yr 1 and 2 NWSC Fundamentals Festival.
- EYFS to Yr 6 NWSC Gymnastics Festival.
- Yr 3 to 6 NWSC Dance Festival.
- Yr 3/4/5/6 NWSC Tag Rugby Festival.
- KS1 NWSC Orienteering Festival.
- KS1 NWSC Wake and Shake Festival.
- Yr 5/6 NWSC Quick Cricket Festival.
Other events include:
- Yr 5/6 LPA Netball League Festival
- Yr 5/6 Chance to Shine Cricket Festival.
Whole School Events:
- EYFS and KS1 Sports Day.
- KS2 Sports Day.
- Sports for Champions Sponsored Event – Visit by Commonwealth or Olympic Champion.
- Steps to Summit Challenges.
This Logo was designed by St. Mary's Pupils (2015) and is now used across the Cluster!