Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural Development
Children's Social, Moral, Social and Cultural development flows through everything we do at St Mary's. We aim to provides pupils with opportunities to explore and develop:
- their own values and beliefs, religious or otherwise, whilst showing respect for different people’s faiths, beliefs, feelings and values;
- their own spiritual awareness, developing their self-knowledge, self-esteem and self-confidence;
- to have a positive, caring attitude towards other people and to understand how they can contribute to their school and the wider community;
- an appreciation of their social and cultural traditions and the diversity and richness of other cultures;
- to be responsible for their own high standard of behaviour and understanding the consequences of their behaviour and actions and the difference between right and wrong.
Our worship themes underpin our SMSC work and you can find out more about them here.
Another key area is our approach to Social, Emotional and Mental Health (SEMH) which you can read about here.
St Mary's sensitive approach to behaviour issues also builds on our SMSC philosophy. You can read about 'good behaviour' here.