Special Educational Needs
& Disability Coordinator

Mrs L Tew


Definition of Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

     A child has a learning difficulty or disability if he or she:


Has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age...


Has a disability which prevents or hinders him or her from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools.

Code of Practice (April 2014)


SEND support and intervention at St Mary's

At St Mary's we aim to ensure all children feel happy, safe, confident and fully included in all aspects of school life.  We strive to provide access to a creative, fun, inclusive and, if appropriate, a differentiated curriculum which is both broad and balanced.

We do this through a wide range of teaching strategies and activities which include; small group or one-to-one intervention, first wave teaching and nurture groups.

If you need to speak to someone about your child and concerns you may have in this area, please do contact the school and chat the issue through with your child's class teacher - they will be in a good position to help you.  If you would like further information then ask to speak to Mrs L Tew (Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Coordinator).

A useful leaflet, 'SEND information for parents', is available here.


St Mary's Graduated Response

For a copy of St Mary's Graduated Response click here.  


St Mary's SEN Information Report

If you want the answers to the following questions, please see our SEN Information Report:

  • How do we know that your child needs extra help?
  • How will we support your child and let you know how they are doing?
  • What do I do if I think that my child has special educational needs?
  • How can I find out about the authorities Local Offer and services for children and young people with a special educational need and disability?


More information about the wider support and services Wiltshire Local Authority can provide for your child can be found here: https://www.wiltshirelocaloffer.org.uk/education/ 

and https://www.wiltshireparentcarercouncil.co.uk/

The Swindon Local Authority support and services can be found here: http://children.mycaremysupport.co.uk 

   For health services provided by Virgin Care you can visit https://wiltshirechildrensservices.co.uk/